Starbucks - store manager - Retail - Portland, ME (Portland)
This could be just the place to start your career in retail management. As a Store Manager, your Starbucks store will be an important part of the local community. You'll help your store partners make connections with the customers they see every day. You'll lead your store's operations, staffing, customer satisfaction, product quality, financial performance and team development. Best of all, you'll help your team create a welcoming environment. Starbucks is consistently rated as a great place to work and the people here love what they do.
Summary of Key Responsibilities
Responsibilities and essential job functions include but are not limited to the following: Leadership - Setting goals for the work group, developing organizational capability, and modeling how we work together:
- Demonstrates a calm demeanor during periods of high volume or unusual events and manages smooth transitions thereafter to keep store operating to standard and to set a positive example for the store team.
- Displays a "customer comes first" attitude by training and holding partners accountable for delivering legendary customer service.
- Drives the implementation of company programs by developing action plans and directly motivating and instructing the store team to implement them to meet operational and organizational objectives.
- Manages with integrity, honesty and knowledge that promote the culture, values and mission of Starbucks.
- Plans, identifies, communicates, and delegates appropriate responsibilities and practices to store partners to ensure smooth flow of operations.
- Provides coaching and direction to the store team to take action and to achieve operational goals. Constantly reviews store environment and key business indicators to identify problems, concerns, and opportunities for improvement to provide coaching and direction to the store team to achieve operational goals.
Planning and Execution - Developing strategic and operational plans for the work group, managing execution, and measuring results:
- Monitors and manages store staffing levels to ensure partner development and talent acquisition to achieve and maintain store operational requirements.
- Utilizes existing tools to identify and prioritize communications and regularly uses discretion to filter communications to the store team. Communicates clearly, concisely and accurately in order to ensure effective store operations.
Business Requirements - Providing functional expertise and executing functional responsibilities:
- Ensures adherence to applicable wage and hour laws for nonexempt partners and minors.
- Solicits customer feedback to understand customer needs and the needs of the local community.
- Uses all operational tools to plan for and achieve operational excellence in the store. Tools include Automated Labor Scheduling, Monthly Status Report, Quarterly Business Review, cash management and inventory management.
- Uses discretion in accessing external resources to support store operations and to execute district and regional initiatives. Resources include Partner Resources, Marketing, Partner & Asset Protection, Food & Beverage, Coffee, and Retail Implementation departments.
- Utilizes management information tools and analyzes financial reports to identify and address trends and issues in store performance.
Partner Development & Team Building - Providing partners with coaching, feedback, and developmental opportunities and building effective teams:
- Actively manages store partners by regularly conducting performance assessments, providing feedback, and setting challenging goals to improve partner performance. Manages ongoing partner performance using performance management.
Summary of Experience
- Progressively responsible retail experience (3 years)
- Supervision (1 year)
- Experience analyzing financial reports
Required Knowledge, Skills and Abilities
- Ability to manage store operations independently
- Ability to manage effectively in a fast-paced environment
- Ability to manage multiple situations simultaneously
- Ability to manage resources ensuring established service levels are achieved at all times
- Interpersonal skills
- Knowledge of customer service techniques
- Knowledge of supervisory practices and procedures
- Organization and planning skills
- Strong operational skills in a customer-service environment
- Strong problem-solving skills
- Team-building skills
- Ability to communicate clearly and concisely, both orally and in writing
- Strong leadership skills, with the ability to coach and mentor others
- Ability to plan and prioritize workload
- Ability to handle confidential and sensitive information
- College degree in business or a closely related field may substitute for a portion of the required experience
- High school or GED
- Constant standing/walking
- Occasional stooping, kneeling or crawling
- Occasional pushing, pulling, lifting or carrying up to 40 lbs
- Occasional ascending or descending ladders, stairs, ramps.
- Constant computer/POS Register and bar equipment usage.
- Frequent, continual, intermittent flexing or rotation of the wrist(s) and spine.
- Constant reaching, turning, and performing precision work around bar area
- Constant receiving detailed information through oral communication.
- Constant talking, expressing or exchanging ideas by means of the spoken word
- Occasional Distinguishing, with a degree of accuracy, differences or similarities in intensity or quality of flavors and/or odors.
- Constant clarity of vision at near and/or far distances
The first thing people love about working at Starbucks is the feeling of a warm sense of welcome created by others who genuinely enjoy what they do.
This great atmosphere is only one of the benefits of a career at Starbucks. There's also the opportunity for career growth that comes with a quickly expanding company. A job at Starbucks can also come with a 401(k) savings plan, stock options, and health insurance for working as little as 20 hours a week. We're also passionate about our coffee.
These are a few of the reasons we're consistently rated by FORTUNE magazine as one of the 100 Best Companies to Work For. Sound intriguing? Then apply today.
To apply, copy the following link and paste it into your browser's address bar: https://starbucks.taleo.net/careersection/1000222/jobdetail.ftl?job=130003083
- Principals only. Recruiters, please don't contact this job poster.
- do NOT contact us with unsolicited services or offers